Wednesday 7 January 2009

Chapter 70

The press conference went live the next morning across America and Canada and no doubt all over the internet also.

I took Paul home and was actually glad to have some time by myself although it was strange being in the house without Gill.

Before the press conference started I contact the police to find out what had actually happened and they explained about the lorry skidding in the snow and smacking into the drivers side of the car.

I was never allowed to see Gills body because she was in such a bad way, I am quite glad that the doctors said no although I was annoyed at the time, I don’t want that to be the way I see Gill when I close my eyes, I want to see her beautiful happy face smiling back at me.

It was decided between Gill’s family and I that we would leave the funeral open to the public, Gill loved spending time with her fans and she always took time out for them so she would not be happy if we closed the doors on them.

I held Paul in my arms while watching the TV when the news started showing a replay of the press conference. I felt tears run down my face again.

“The NHL has announced that all games tonight and tomorrow will be postponed in memory of Gill Crosby. A minute silence will be held at all games on Friday and Saturday and again all games are cancelled on Wednesday of next week to accommodate those players that would like to attend Gills funeral. These will be rescheduled for the end of the season.

“Gill was a wonderful person and a great asset to the NHL, her memory will live on amongst us all.

“We go live to Joe Smart who is talking to fans who have gathered outside the Mellon Arena. Our thoughts are with the friends and family of Gill, God bless you all.”

The news story was very moving but very surreal, it was like this was happening to someone else, like I was in a dream and I would wake up at any moment and Gill would be lying beside me complaining her bump was too big and she couldn’t wait until the baby was born.

Don’t get me wrong I know that Gill is dead I know that she is not coming back to me but sometimes it just feels easier to think that Gill has just gone away for a little while and will be home soon.

I spent the next few days with family and friends, Kirsty and Geno have been a great help with little Paul.

No comments: