Wednesday 7 January 2009

Chapter 71

Wednesday soon arrived and it was time to go to the funeral. I dressed myself in a black pin stripped suit the one that Gill always said was her favourite, a white shirt and a black silk tie.

I dressed Paul in a pair of little black trouser and a plain white t-shirt. I could not believe that a week after my son was born we were burying his mother. I have not even been married to her for a year.

I arrived at the church for the service and was astonished to see the amount of people there. Friends and family from Scotland and America gathered in the church with rows and rows of fans outside. As I sat down at the front Mario whispered to me that many of the NHL players were at the Mellon and would see me after the service. I was so touched that so many people wanted to come and pay their last respects to Gill.

The coffin sat closed at the top of the church, the varnished wood and polished gold shining under the light. We sat a framed picture of Gill on top which had been taken a few years back at the All Star weekend in Vancouver, the one where I proposed to her. She was laughing in the picture, if I remember rightly she was laughing at Ozzy fooling about, that was a great weekend.

I miss her laugh, I miss her smile. I thought of all these good times that we had together when I looked at the picture of her.

The service was beautiful. I managed to keep my composure until the coffin was taken out of the church and then I broke down and cried and cried unable to hold all of the emotions back any longer.

Eventually I managed to get up and I went outside to thank everyone.

“Good afternoon everyone” I started talking to a microphone that had been set up for me as I stood in front of the hundreds of fans with tears still streaming from my eyes, normally I would have been ashamed to have been caught crying, especially on camera, crying is a sign of weakness but at the moment I am weak and I don’t know how I am going to find the strength to continue.

“I would just like to say a few words and these words go out to each and every one of you, if I could talk to you all individually believe me I would.

“Gill loved her fans and she would have done anything for each of you. I appreciate so very much that you have all travelled from afar to be here today to pay your respects.

“Thank you for respecting myself and our family and friends over the past week or so when we have been going through a difficult time.

“I wish you all a safe journey home and once again thank you. There is food and drinks being served in the main rink at the Mellon, please go and help yourself.

“Thank you and God bless.”

I made my way back to the players lounge at the arena where I knew everyone was waiting for me. I was still carrying Paul, not wanting to let go of him today, I needed my little boy to be close to me.

I took my time talking to each of the players from the NHL that had come today. There were at least a handful of players from each team in the league all here to pay their respects to Gill.

“Sidney, do you mind if I say something about Gill, make a little speech?” I heard Ozzy ask quietly while Paul held on to his finger.

“That would be nice Chris.”

Chris went up to the microphone which is normally used for conferences or team talks and got everyone’s attention.

“I am sorry to bother you all but I just wanted to say a little something about Gill.

“I first met her at the All Stars weekend a few years ago, the first year I spoke to her but not very much. I just remember thinking every time I saw her that she was so naturally beautiful and she did not even know it.

“A year later at the next All Stars weekend was the next time I saw her. This time she was taking part a lot more and getting involved with training everyone. I thought to myself when I seen her that somehow in a year she had become more beautiful and she was so happy. Seeing her and Sidney together was so inspiring, the love they shared for each other was so strong and if my memory serves me right that was the year that Sid proposed.

“We were doing all the trick shots on the Sunday when somehow Jordan Staal managed to convince Gill to have a shot and no one could believe how good she was. She scored 6 goals against me out of 10 shots and I was so embarrassed that I had been out played by a girl!!

“We all presented her with a gold necklace that day and hanging from it was a hockey stick pendant. We were all so proud of the present we had found for her and I remember her telling me recently that she wore it everyday, it was one of her most prized possessions.

“The team were in Detroit not so long ago and I was talking to Gill about some personal problems I was having. She told me to follow my heart and my biggest aim in life should be to make sure that my dreams came true.

“She was a great believer that fate played its hand in everything that we do, everything happens for a reason. So far I am yet to find the reason why Gill has been taken away from us but I do know that she will be watching us all and will continue to help us along the way.

“She touched my heart in away no one has managed before. She was a very good friend of mine and I knew that she was always there for me. She was a very special person and will remain in my heart for ever more.

“Sidney, we are all here for you, I know we cant take the pain away but let us share it with you and make sure that little baby of yours knows how much his mum was loved.”

Chris turned to me and looked at me with a tear soaked eyes, I handed him Paul and wiped away his tears and nodded at him, I just could not find that right words to say.

For the next couple of hours everyone spoke about their own memories of Gill, some funny stories came out, some sad stories but everyone had so many memories of their time with her be it short lived or not.

Eventually I guessed it was my turn before I took Paul home to his bed.

“I don’t know what to say guys, today has really helped me and it will remain in my memory forever.

“I could tell so many stories about Gill but I would not know where to start.

“Gill has touched all our hearts in so many different ways and she will remain in all of our hearts forever more.

“I want to thank you all for coming here today, many of you have travelled far, I hope you all know how much myself and my family appreciate you being here. You are all welcome to visit myself and Paul anytime you are in the area.

“Thanks again and good night.”

No comments: