Friday 19 December 2008

Chapter 69

I stood outside the room where everyone was waiting unable to bring myself to open the door. I noticed Nurse Margaret walking towards me so I waited to tell her the Paul drank all of his milk. She was pleased that I had gotten on so well.

“I know it is hard for you to go in there but they are your friends, they want to help you through this hard time. You need to let them in.”

I smiled and took a deep breath gently pushing the door open.

Everyone just stared at me I handed Paul to Fiona and broke down again. I sat on the floor holding my knees to my chest rocking back and forth, burning hot tears streaming down my cheeks.

To my surprise it was Andy that came to my rescue.

He sat down on the floor beside me and rubbed my back as Colby had done only a few hours before.

“I know it is hard Sidney, you have lost the love of your life, I have lost my little sister, mum and dad have lost their daughter and all of us in this room have lost our best friend but right now this little boy”, he held his arms out to his mum who placed little Paul close to his chest, “needs us to look after him, he needs you especially to be strong for him.

“We will not let you struggle Sidney, we are all here to help you and will be there for you every step of the way.

“Gill is watching down on us all and smiling, she loves you. It will be ok.”

He continued to rub my back and let me get everything out of my system.

“I need to phone my agent, we need to release a press statement, probably have a press conference and let the world know what has happened.

“Fiona, Dave, Andy are you all ok with that?” I asked suddenly realising there was so much to do.

“If you think it is the right thing to do Sidney then yes it is ok with us.” Fiona answers.

I turned to leave the room with Paul to make some calls when suddenly I remembered,

“Can some please call Sara before this goes public, I don’t want her to find out by watching the TV?”

I didn’t wait for an answer, I knew someone would phone everyone including all Gills friends and family in Scotland, they are going to be devastated.

I spoke to my mum and dad on the phone and they said they would be there shortly, they had managed to catch an earlier flight.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Wow, you honestly had me in tears. Even if that was very sad, it was awesome and very well written.
And by the way, thank you for all of your comments. I really do appreciate them. :)