Wednesday 19 November 2008

Chapter 58

We spent the rest of the day telling family and close friends, I went into the office to tell Mario and Ray and we agreed to sit down before the baby was due and discuss how I could still train the guys and in the meantime when I was on the ice I would wear a ‘no contact’ vest.

We organised a team meal for the next day and told the guys to bring their wives / girlfriends and even their children if they wanted too. Colby was also still in the area to we invited him too, he to had news for the guys which somehow had managed to be kept secret for a month or so now.

“Right, now that everyone is here”, I say standing up at the table with Sidney on one side of me and Colby on the other.

“Tonight is not formal and is nothing to worry about we just have a few things we want to discuss with you all before we go away to training camp.

“First of all you are all probably wondering why we are having a team meal and Colby Armstrong is sitting here. Colby, stand up please and tell everyone your news.”

Colby stood beside me and put his arm around my shoulders.

“Guys, it is good to see you all. My news is that over the summer I accepted a transfer away from Atlanta…

“Guys I am coming home, I signed with Pittsburgh yesterday and have a 5 year contract so there is no getting rid of me this time. I am so happy to be back and I hope you can all welcome me back into the team again.”

Colby sat down and received a big cheer from everyone. I knew they would all be so happy to have their friend back on the team.

“Right that is not all the news so if I can get your attention for a little bit longer then I promise you will get some food.

“Most of you were asking why I was wearing a ‘no contact’ vest this morning at training and I told you it was because I was a bit under the weather. Well technically that was not true. I will be wearing a ‘no contact’ vest for the next 7 months…”

I looked around everyone and some of the wives were starting to get little smiles on their faces, Kirsty and Geno were smiling like Cheshire cats and the rest of the guys were still looking at me with vacant expressions.

“Carry on Gill please, we are starving”, I hear Jordan say from across that table.

“Ok Jordan if all you can think of is your stomach, if you don’t want hear my news I will signal the waiter to start bringing the food.”

I tried to look as serious as possible and started to turn my back on them to see the waiter that was standing waiting patiently until I had finished my little speech.

“Gill, hold on, come on we want to know what is going on.” Jordan replied.

I turned back laughing.

“Ok! Some of you, especially the females in the group have figured out what is going on but for those of you that are still looking at me blankly,”

I turned to Sidney and put I hand out for him to hold but he stood up and put his arm around my waist.

“I am pregnant. Our first child is due in February so for the next 7 months there will be ‘no contact’ for me but I will try to continue with training as before and we will decide nearer the time what will happen once our child is born.”

Some the females were crying and guys were all cheering.

“This as been an amazing night”, Marc-Andre starts saying as he now stands up. I take this opportunity to sit down.

“We find out we are getting one of our best friends back on the team after too many years away and our captain and best friend is going to be a Dad and of course the best trainer in the world is going t be a Mum, your child is going to be some sort of super kid – the NHL will be wanting to sign it before it is even born!!!

“Also before we came out tonight Vero found a box that I had been hiding for her birthday – inside the box was a rather large diamond set on a very expensive gold band.

“I was planning on proposing to Vero on her birthday when I took her out for a romantic meal but because she found the ring I proposed early and she said YES!!!

“We are hoping to plan the wedding for July next year after the season finishes.”

Another round of congratulations followed and eventually we sat down and ate. The night was so nice and Sidney proceeded to tell everyone about the song that I had written for him and how I had sang it at a friends wedding.

It was decided that we would head back to our house after the meal and I would sing the song again.

No comments: