Wednesday 3 December 2008

Chapter 66

I sat back down staring into space afraid to let the tears fall in case they did not stop.

We are in a private hospital so we have managed to keep the press away, for the moment they don’t know anything and I plan to keep it that way for as long as possible.

A nurse came and told us a few moments ago that the entire team and their partners were sitting in a family waiting room just down the hall and that my parents were catching the first flight over and will be here early tomorrow.

An hour later a female nurse looking to be in her late forties came out still wearing her green scrubs holding a little baby who was crying just ever so slightly.

I stood up and she handed me the child who was wrapped in a warm white blanket. “Mr Crosby, I would like to introduce you to your beautiful baby boy.”

I was unable to contain my tears any longer as they rolled down my face and as I looked around everyone I noticed that Gill’s family and Colby were also crying.

“If you will just follow me in to this room over here we can get the little guy cleaned up and then you can take him to see your friends. The doctors are still working on Gillian and as soon as they know anything more they will come and tell you.”

The nurse spoke softly and with a lot of emotion, she reminded me of an old fashioned nurse, someone who takes time out to make sure her patients are ok. She turned on her heals and we all followed her into a small room where she took my baby and cleaned him up. I watched her intently paying close attention to everything she was doing, no one in the room finding the right words to say, tears still steaming from all of our eyes.

When the nurse was done she went to hand me my baby back but I asked Fiona if she wanted to take him, she took him and held him so closely sobbing uncontrollably. She handed him to Dave who only held him for a moment and Andy just turned away finding it to hard to deal with until he knew what was happening with his little sister.

Army had a little cuddle, I was surprised at how good he was with him and eventually he gave him back to me.

I sat for a moment with my baby in my arms, taking in everything about him. His blue eyes shining just like his mum’s, his light brown curly hair reminding me of what mine had been like for so many years before turning dark. His tiny fingers wrapping themselves around one of my fingers, still tears poured from my eyes. He is gorgeous.

“Gill and I had discussed names and decided on what he would be called if he was a boy and just as well he is a boy because we could not decide on girls names.

“I would like to introduce you all to Paul Patrick Crosby.”

I looked around everyone to see a small smile form on everyone faces knowing that we had named our baby after Gill’s first husband.

“Nurse, do you mind if I take him along to meet the rest of the team now?” I asked quietly.

“Of course not Mr Crosby, just remember to keep him warm and bring him back here when you are ready.”

“Thank you”.

1 comment:

mare said...

oh my goodness, that was precious. i hope gill is okay.