Monday 10 November 2008

Chapter 53

We spent the next few hours chatting and catching up having to stop on a few occasions when people recognised Sidney and I. It was strange when I was asked for my autograph and I wrote Gill Crosby. It brought a smile to my face.

We eventually left and made our way back to the hotel after Alan and Erin agreed to have their next holiday in America.

The next morning we headed through to Montrose, the town where I was born and spent most of my life until I was nearly 18 years old.

I let Sidney drive for the 1st time since we had arrived in Scotland.

“Gill, I have no idea how to drive a manual car, where do I start?” He asks looking petrified of even turning the key to start the engine.

I gave him a quick lesson and he soon picked it up. It only takes an hour to get to Montrose from Perth so we soon arrived, we decided to take the coastal road so that Sidney could see how beautiful Scotland could be.

We checked in to the hotel and headed out for a walk.

We went down to the beach first and sat on the sand eating our ice creams, we sat in silence for a while listening to the sound of the waves and the children. It was nice to be back.

“It is beautiful here Gill, I could get used to this.” Sidney says cuddling into me as he finishes his ice cream.

“I know what you mean” I answer as I kiss him gently on the forehead when I see that a couple of kids are running our way and I notice that Sidney and I are both wearing completely different Crosby 87 t-shirts from the latest Reebok line of clothing.

“Sidney, can I please have your autograph?” One of the little boys asks shyly. “My mummy says it is ok.”

“Of course I will pal, what is your name?” Sidney asks with a big smile.

After he gave the kids his autograph he played football with them for a while before we headed along the beach. We held each others hands as we walked in silence listening to the sounds of the water and the playing children, we did not need words at that time, everything was perfect.

The sun was shining and it was very warm, I forgot how tiring the heat in Scotland was, I know it sounds strange but it is much different to that of America.

We walked for a long time before we decided to head back to the hotel for a shower and something to eat before we went out to the local pubs for the evening.

We soon showered and headed out to a pub called Busby’s where I had arranged to meet an old school friend of mine called Emma Laidlaw. I noticed her as soon as I walked in she had not changed a bit.

“Hello stranger how are you?” I say as I approach her.

“Gill, you look so different, you look stunning babe.” She says excitedly. “I have invited some other people that you will probably remember from school, I hope you don’t mind.”

“Not at all, it will be nice to see everyone again.” I answer feeling a bit unsure. When I was at school I did not really fit in and other than Emma I never really had any friends. I am worried that everyone will be so false when they talk to me.

We are standing at the bar when we hear a male voice shout “Look it is Gill and Sidney Crosby, they must be here on their honeymoon. I can’t believe they have come to Scotland. Wow – I have to go and talk to them.”

I turned around to see Denis. I only know who he is from association. His girlfriend was in my year at school.

“Wow” he says once he reaches it us. “I cannot believe that Gill and Sidney Crosby are standing at the bar in my regular pub, please let me buy you both a drink, it is such an honour to meet you both.”

“Hi Denis”, I reply. “I take it you are a hockey fan?”

“Leigh, she knows my name” Denis answers as he turns back to his girlfriend.

“Yes Denis that is because I went to school with her.

“Denis, this is Gill Duncan. Gill, this is my mad fiancĂ© Denis.” Leigh says as she gives me a hug.

I never really liked Leigh at school but that was a long time ago, I guess most people have changed a lot since then.

Once everyone had arrived and was sitting round us I took a moment to look around at the faces, I knew who most of them were and surprisingly everyone was being genuinely nice. As I looked around I realised we had taken up most of the pub.

I told them my entire story and they proceeded to ask loads of questions.

No comments: