Friday 24 October 2008

Chapter 46

We headed to bed pretty early and when I woke the next morning I realised I had not asked anyone to be my bridesmaids and I had not even started looking for a dress yet. It is only 8 weeks until the wedding!

“Sidney wake up, how could I forget, I have no bridesmaids and I have no wedding dress, what am I going to do?” I shout at him in a panic while shaking him willing him to wake up.

“I think you should phone the people you want to be your bridesmaids and then phone Versace and take them up on the offer of making your dresses.” He answers without even opening his eyes.

I got up and walked away to start making phone calls when I heard sleepily, “Gill, I forgot to ask who you are going to ask to be your bridesmaid, is it Kirsty?”

“Kirsty and Taylor”, I shout back at him as I run down the stairs knowing that he would be delighted that I was asking his sister.

I phoned Kirsty first.

“Kirsty, I know I have left it really late but I just realised this morning that I have not asked you to be my maid of honour yet. I would like it if you and Taylor would both do the honour of being my bridesmaids.” I asked frantically down the phone.

“Gill, calm down.” I hear Kirsty’s soothing voice. “Of course I will be your maid of honour that goes without saying. Have you thought about dresses yet?”

“Versace have asked if they can make the dresses so I am going to call them after I have phoned Taylor to arrange a meeting for us all with the designer.”

We spoke a little while longer and then said our goodbyes. Next I phoned Taylor.

“Taylor, it is Gill. I have woken this morning in a panic. I realised that I have not yet asked you and Kirsty to be my bridesmaids and I have not done anything about the dresses. Will you please be my bridesmaid?!” I ask still panicked.

“Calm down Gill, of course I will be your bridesmaid, I would be honoured to be part of your day. Everything will fall into place, please stop panicking.” She says excitedly as if she is so much older than her years.

I explain about the dresses and tell her I will be in contact.

Next I set about phone Versace.

“Good morning Versace how can I help you?” A polite female Italian voice answers.

“My name is Gill Robertson. I received a letter from Mr Versace himself offering to make my wedding dress and the dresses for my bridesmaids. We have set a date for the wedding and it is only about 8 weeks away. I was wondering if he would still be able to help me.” I ask feeling very nervous for some reason.

“Bear with me until I check the records. Here we are Mrs Robertson, is that for the Crosby wedding?” The polite girl asks.

“Yes, that is correct.”

“There is a note on the file that Mr Versace himself would like to talk to you so if you agree I will put you on hold until I see if he is available.”

“No problem.” I answer feeling even more nervous.

I am only on hold for a matter of seconds when I hear the call being transferred and I strong male Italian voice answers:

“Gill, we are so pleased to hear from you. Can we arrange a meeting for this week to discuss ideas and get some measurements from yourself your bridesmaids?”

We arranged a meeting and then ended the call. I phoned Kirsty and Taylor to ask them to be available so all is good. No need to panic after all.

No comments: